- analyzes, researches, queries, reviews data with the goal of finding useful information, insight, trends
- importing, cleaning, transforming, validating or modeling data with the purpose of understanding or making conclusions from the data for decision making purposes.
- presenting data in charts, graphs, tables, designing and developing relational databases for collecting data and in some organizations it also includes building or designing data input or data collection screens.
- write Data Definition Language or Data Manipulation Language SQL commands, be responsible for improving data quality and for designing or presenting conclusions gained from analyzing data using statistical tools like Microsoft Excel, SAS, SPSS and others.
- Database analysts usually work a 40-hour week.
- Overtime is often part of the job as deadlines and user requirements must be met.